Permitted Individual Checklist

If you are a new Principal Investigator (PI), the steps below must be completed before you begin working in your lab.

  • Register as a Permitted Individual with EHS using the Permitted Individual Application Form
  • Submit the form to and EHS will ad you as a PI in EHSA 4.0.  Or you can send through the University mail to PI Program Administrator, EHS - Resource Recovery Center, 1710 East Campus Loop
  • There are online tutorials for using EHSA that can be found on the EHSA Tutorial webpage.
  • EHS will assign permit numbers.  Permits are based on the type of work to be performed and include Biological, Chemical, General, and Radiological (RAM).
  • After you have been enrolled as a PI in EHSA 4.0 and have permits assigned:
    • If you have a RAM permit, you will be contacted by Radiation Safety
    • Login to EHSA and identify your lab number associated with each permit
    • Login to EHSA and identify all lab workers associated with each permit.  Attaching lab workers to the permit will identify training for each lab worker.  It is important to select the Worker Function.  The Worker Function will define the training requirements.
  • Bio training includes EHS201 and EHS202 (initial and every 3 years), EHS220 Bloodborne Pathogen (initial and yearly), EHS230 Biosafety Cabinet Safety, and EHS240 Recombinant and/or Synthetic Nucleic Acid Molecules (rsNA).
  • General lab safety training includes EHS301 - EH305 (initial and every 3 years)
  • Workers can only register for EHS training on EHS Assistant.  Therefore it is important for PIs to keep worker rosters current.
  • If you will be relocating or installing a biosafety cabinet, please contact the Biosafety Office in EHS for assistance.  EHS tracks locations of biosafety cabinets.  Annual certification of biosafety cabinets is required and is the responsibility of the PI.
  • Work involving the use of recombinant DNA, or classified BSL2 or BSL3 must have a protocol reviewed and approved by the Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC).  Information can be found at the Institutional Biosafety Committee webpage.
    • NOTE: Biological Permits are associated with a specific IBC protocol.  If you have multiple IBC protocols, you will have multiple Biological Permits.  This is because risk assessments are performed on each IBC protocol application and training is assigned based on this risk assessment.  Your Worker Function for each permit in EHS Assistant is actually what drives your training curriculum.
  • Work involving animals may require a protocol development and approval through the Animal Care and Use Committee (ACUC).  Information can be found at the Animal Research Protocol Application page.
  • EHS has a chemical redistribution program.  Once you are registered as a PI in EHSA, you will have access to chemicals and supplies in inventory.  Information can be found at the Chemical Redistribution webpage.
  • If you will be generating waste, you can order supplies (containers and labels) through EHSA Waste Supplies Request, or through the EHS website at our Supply Request Form.
  • Waste pickups are scheduled through EHSA using the Waste Pickup Request.  From the time you start accumulating waste in a container, you have 6 months to have it removed from a lab.