Transportation of RAM

All packages containing radioactive materials are to be received at EHS for processing unless prior approval has been provided by the RSC.  The package will then be delivered directly to the authorized lab for which it was ordered.  The outer package is surveyed during processing at EHS.



Individual laboratories can NOT transfer radioactive material in any vehicle (personal, MU, or other), unless specifically trained and approved by EHS.

Offering radioactive materials for transport by commercial carrier (Federal Express, private courier, etc.) is prohibited. Transportation of radioactive materials by vehicle is prohibited except for exempt quantities or Naturally Occurring Radioactive Material (NORM.) NORM is non-inventoried material that may be transferred with RS approval. 

All radioactive material transport must be conducted through EHS. To transfer RAM, review the procedures outlined in Transferring and Disposing of RAM.


Page last updated on June 7, 2019.