Permitted Location Closeout Policy

When vacating a location registered with EHS, proper disposition of all hazardous materials is the responsibility of the Permitted Individual to whom the room is assigned. In the event of a closeout or relocation, it is important that the areas are left in a clean and safe condition for the next occupants and/or construction crews. If the Permitted Individual is no longer available, responsibility for compliance with this policy transfers to the corresponding department, school or college. In unusual circumstances where improper management of hazardous materials results in the necessity of cleanup services from outside the department, school or college (most likely a third party outside contractor), the responsible party will be charged for this service.


When does the Laboratory Closeout Policy apply?

The Permitted Location Closeout Policy applies when any of the following occurs:
  1. The Permitted Individual is relocating to a different room in the same building. (Occupants are authorized to transport hazardous materials to the new location.)
  2. The Permitted Individual is relocating to another location in a different building. (Consult with EHS to coordinate transportation of hazardous chemicals, biological agents, or radioactive materials to the new location. The Department of Transportation (DOT) requires a certain amount of training for individuals to legally transport hazardous materials over public roadways. EHS will assure that the move is DOT compliant.)
  3. The Permitted Individual is leaving the University and closing his/her permit. (If the PI is planning to take chemicals to another university or employer, contact them for shipping assistance.)
  4. The Permitted Individual is leaving the University, but transferring responsibility of his/her permitted location to another Permitted Individual. (Hazardous materials may be left in the room if the new Permitted Individual takes responsibility for them.)


What is the proper permitted location closeout procedure?

  1. Notify Environmental Health & Safety six weeks prior to the evacuation date (or as soon as possible). Once EHS receives notification, an appointment will be made for a closeout monitoring visit.
  2. Chemicals: Request the collection of chemicals not in their original bottles through the EHS Assistant interface. For chemicals in their original bottles, contact EHS for a spreadsheet template that's easier to use. Items are to be physically left in the same order they are entered to expedite processing when EHS staff members arrive to collect the material. Many Permitted Individuals have found it helpful to offer good chemicals and labware to other researchers in the department before determining what needs to be picked up by EHS.
  3. Gas cylinders: Arrange for all gas cylinders to be returned to the supplying vendor (contact EHS for assistance if this requires using a commercial carrier). List any non-returnable cylinders through the EHS Assistant interface.
  4. Glassware: Unwanted glassware and other laboratory equipment should be cleaned and boxed so that it may be redistributed to other researchers through the Chemical Redistribution Program. Email or call 882-3736 for pickup. Broken glassware should be managed in accordance with the Biological Safety Manual.
  5. Biological Materials: Place all sharps in a sharps container. Dispose of the sharps containers and all other potentially biohazardous waste from the laboratory in a biohazard box/tub lined with a red biohazard bag. Refer to Appendix C of the Biological Safety Manual for laboratory decommissioning/closure procedures.
  6. Radioactive Material: Call your assigned Health Physicist (HP) to notify them of the closeout. Refer to the Moving Out of a RAM Lab page for instructions on closing out inventory  or closing out a permitted location under your authorization.
  7. Items Appropriate for Surplus Properties Items acceptable for resale through Surplus Properties, including most electronics, may require special handling before transfer. Be sure to comply with Surplus EHS Concerns before requesting a transfer of items. Contact Surplus Properties to arrange for a pickup.
  8. General Cleanup: The permitted location must be thoroughly cleaned to assure removal of all hazardous residues. This includes bench tops, fume hoods, cabinets, drawers, floors, refrigerators and freezers.
  9. Final Check Out: Complete a Permitted Location Closeout Verification Form and bring the form to the previously scheduled closeout monitoring visit.



Let EHS know you're moving. The permitted locations need to be cleaned out to the bare walls (except for those things which the next person has agreed to take). The Permitted Individual, EHS, the Building Coordinator, the Department Chair and the new Permitted Individual assigned to the space (if there is one) agree that the space has been released.

Our goal is for students, staff and the public to stay safe and healthy while at MU. By creating a plan before you move, you can help make this happen. EHS has created this page to be a resource for researchers who are moving. Please contact us with suggestions for how we can make it more useful for you.