Building Specific Emergency Action Plans
Please note it takes 7-10 working days after EHS receives your EAP for it to appear on MU Alert.
Completed Building Emergency Action Plans and Evacuation Maps (link to MU Alert website)
Building supervisors, occupants, and the building coordinators should develop, administer, and update a Building Specific Emergency Action Plan using the template below. The Building Specific Emergency Action Plan prepares building occupants to maximize the preservation of life, environment, property, and equipment.
It is critically important to note these plans are BUILDING SPECIFIC, which means a plan can only cover one building. That means buildings often grouped together for other reasons (e.g., Lewis & Clark) should have separate EAPs so they can be found individually at MU Alert by anyone on campus at any time.
The plan covers emergency contact lists & communication, delegation of responsibilities, evacuation notification system, emergency lighting and equipment, primary and secondary evacuation routes, assembly points, accounting for personnel, for a wide variety of emergencies.
EHS is available to provide assistance in the completion of the template. Professional evacuation plans will be generated with a team from Space Planning & Management and EHS. Building Coordinators will be contacted by MU's Assistant Fire Marshal when he is ready to tour your building and draw up the evacuation routes. Buildings have been prioritized based on occupancy and location. The Fire Marshal's visit will be scheduled with the corresponding Building Coordinator.
Emergency Action Plan Template (Revised April 2020 - ADA Compliant)
Instructions for Completing Emergency Action Plan Template
The following will help you complete the EAP Template. The EAP template should be treated as a living document that requires periodic update to ensure all information is correct. The EAP template requires the use of Microsoft Office.
Main Body of Template
- On the opening page, insert the Building Name in the Title.
- On section 1.a.i, select one means of fire notification that applies.
- On section 1.b.ii, insert the primary and secondary assembly point.
Appendix A: Maps including Emergency Evacuation Route
- EHS will generate the Evacuation Plans when the completed EAP template is submitted to EHS. EHS will post the completed EAP and evacuation routes electronically, separate from each other for easy access.
- EHS will insert the link for electronic copies. You should not alter this field.
Appendix B: Emergency Contacts & Duty Information
- Enter the name and contact information for the Building Coordinator and at least one other person. (This information will not be shared with the public.)
- List all departments in your building and include contact information as requested. (This information will not be shared with the public.)
Appendix C: Zone /Floor Monitor Contact Information
Use this appendix if the size of your building requires dividing the building into zones to assist occupants in the implementation of the Emergency Action Plan. (This appendix should be viewed as a tool. It is not mandatory. It will not be shared with the public.)
- Provide a brief description of each monitor’s area of responsibility. For example, the west wing of the 2nd floor, or the entire 3rd floor.
Appendix D: Part 1 – Guidance Regarding Persons Needing Assistance During an Emergency
- No action required
Appendix D: Part 2 – Emergency Evacuation Planning Checklist
Use this checklist as a guide to address the emergency procedure needs for persons needing assistance in an emergency.
Appendix D: Part 3 – Occupant Identification
Use this appendix to list the name, location, phone number, and type of assistance needed for each person needing assistance during an emergency. (This part should be viewed as a tool. It is not mandatory. It will not be shared with the public.)
- Enter the type of assistance needed and the name and phone number of the volunteer evacuation assistance.
Instructions for Sending your Completed EAP to EHS
After completing your building EAP, email the finished document to email@example.com