Temporary Food Permits
If you or your organization will be serving food, you will need a Temporary Food Service Operating Permit. Please be aware the permits are only intended for "temporary" food service for a few hours on one specific date. However, if you have an event that takes place over the course of no more than three days in the same location, you can fill out one permit for the entire event. In your event description you must include food service times for each meal. If you intend to establish a more permanent daily food service you must speak with the MU Sanitarian at 882-7018.
When Don't I Need a Temporary Food Permit?
If you are using a Qualified Caterer as listed at https://reservations.missouri.edu/preferred-caterers/, and you are not preparing, cooking or serving any additional food, you no longer have to request a Temporary Food Permit from EHS for that event. If you are unsure if you should submit one, you can email us at email@example.com or proceed with the permit process and include questions/comments with your submission.
You also do not need to obtain a Temporary Food Permit if you are only serving the following beverages: coffee, iced coffee, tea, iced tea, water, bottled or canned beverages, lemonade/limeade from a powder or pre-mixed and/or hot chocolate from a powder. (If you are making fresh lemonade/limeade, we do require a permit.) Also understand that if you are serving anything other than the aforementioned beverages, such a cookies, bagels, cupcakes, you do need to submit a request.
Obtaining a Temporary Food Permit
Requests must be made at least seven business days in advance. You must read the Temporary Food Permit Guidelines before you complete the form and attest that you will assure the guidelines are followed for your event. After you have read the guidelines, please follow the steps below:
- Log into EHS Assistant at the link below by using your Pawprint. Individuals that need to fill out a temporary food permit and that are not affiliated with the University of Missouri and do not have a MU Pawprint should contact the University Sanitarian for additional details.
- If this is your first time logging into EHS Assistant, you will need to select the First Time User button. If you have a EHSA account already, skip to step 4.
- Under the PI/Researcher field, select Temporary Food Permit and select save. It can take up to one business day for a newly registered employee or student to receive an active EHS Assistant profile.
- Once you have logged into EHS Assistant, click the EHS Assessment icon.
- Select Browse New Forms, on the top left of the page.
- Select Temporary Food Permit and complete all required fields.
- Select Save as Complete, and the system will generate and automatic email letting you know of the submission. The University Sanitarian will be notified and review the information. If additional information is needed, the submitter will receive an email from firstname.lastname@example.org notifying them that changes are needed prior to approval.
- Once edits have been made and there are no additional questions, a temporary food permit will be issued via email attachment to the submitter.
A tutorial demonstrating this process can be found at the following link Temporary Food Permit Form Submission. Be sure, when completing the temporary food permit form, to indicate that the times that food will be served. For example: The event room is reserved from 11:00AM to 10:00PM - but food will only be served from 5:00PM to 7:00PM in the temporary food permit request.
Click Here to Login to EHS Assistant
If you have specific questions concerning your event, the Temporary Food Permits Guidelines, or the Temporary Food Service Operating Permit, please contact the MU Sanitarian at 882-7018.
- NOTE: If you are grilling food, you will also need an Open Flame Permit.
- NOTE: If your event includes alcoholic beverages, you must also complete a Request to Use Alcoholic Beverages on University Property.